According to Serbian law, foreign citizens are allowed to adopt a child from Serbia. However, adoption is allowed only when adoptive parents cannot be found among Serbian citizens and when the Serbian authority in charge of adoption estimates that adoption by foreigners is in the child's best interest.
Along with a request for adoption, prospective adopters (applicants) must present the following:
- A short biography
- Assessment of the authorized institution - based on the applicant's USA address of residence - that applicants are eligible for adoption. Applicants should provide a proof that such institution is authorized for said assessment.
- Proof that applicants are eligible for adoption according to the applicable laws in domicile country (USA)
- Birth certificates
- Marriage certificate
- Proof that there is no criminal file and that there is no ongoing criminal investigation
- Proof that applicants have not been convicted of criminal charges
- Physician's assessment on general health condition
- Proof of employment, income, property and housing conditions
- Proof of citizenship
All documents must be original, properly legalized (Apostille) and translated into Serbian by an authorized translator. Requests should be sent directly to Serbian authority in charge for adoption (Ministry for Labor and Social Politics, Department for Social Protection) at:
Ministarstvo rada i socijalne politike Republike Srbije
Sektor za socijalnu zaštitu